My day at E.L.F Cafe








On Saturday 23rd February I helped out at my friends 'pop-up' cafe in Stoke Newington.
Chance Kellner, herself is worth writing about. She is an actress, musician and enthusiastic cook.
In between castings, playing her fiddle at theatrical productions & shooting short films for Red Nose Day, she decided she'd open a cafe. Why not...

She went into ELF (East london Furniture) and asked if she could open / run a cafe aside them selling coffee... and they said yes. So for the past three weeks she has been running a cafe in E.L.F selling their coffee (NUDE Coffee beans) and her own homemade treats. 

After hearing the story I couldn't help but feel completely inspired. The saying 'if you don't ask you don't get' is really quite true. Chance has never run a cafe before but has the enthusiasm and enough charisma for it not to be an issue. Every hurdle she has been presented with she's has taken in her stride and then overcome.
It is so refreshing to see someone who enjoys doing something go out and just do it. Why not!


Anyway enough waffling.. Chance dropped me a line asking for ideas for recipes and just a chat really. After a bit of thinking, excitement took over and before she even asked I was up for rolling up my sleeves and just helping out.

When I said I'd help out for free, I think she thought I was a little bit nuts... Well why not, I used to work as a waitress for quite a long time as a youngster and really enjoyed it.

I agreed to bake something and bring it along on the day. Obviously I decided to test out some new recipes. A Spiced apple and Banana Bundt cake and a Spinach and Squash Tart, I'll post about in the next post...

Chance will only be running E.L.F till the end of March, so you'd better get there quick! However there are murmurs of Chance and her boyfriend, Ben, are going to do Sunday Specials at ELF. Music to Work Too, the idea is that Chance with a melody of other musicians will play in the background whilst onlookers can work on their illustrations, knit their scarves or write an song.... Ben will take over serving the coffee and a friend will be serving up some delicious food! Sounds good doesn't it ;)
I shall let you know when more is confirmed, but at the moment the idea is that it will be between 3pm-8pm on a Sunday....

I myself will definitely be bobbing along!


E.L.F - East London Furniture
197-199 Stoke Newington High Street












No comments:

Post a Comment