HOW TO EAT 7+ PORTIONS OF FRUIT & VEG


As a rather big treat to myself, I bought a Vitamix for my birthday. This wasn't a rash decision by any means, I've been wanting one for over three years after been mesmerised after seeing it at a food show demonstration. If you've never heard about them before, they are an incredibly powerful blender that has a price tag to match. But it isn't just a blender! It can blend raw veg and turn it into soup in minutes. A blender that can peanuts into peanut butter, Frozen fruit into ice cream and of course whizz up fantastic smoothies in seconds! Yes seconds!! The fact in does it in such a short space of time supposedly means the vitamin and nutrient content stay high, thus the name, vita-mix...


Not a day has passed since getting this crazy blender that I haven't used it!

The 'Green Smoothie' - A smoothie of both fruit and green vegetables, is another food trend that is currently going crazy. British Vogue even did an article about it in their recent issues. However I can't say that I've jumped at trying one, they look like that concoction you'd make in the school canteen which you were the dared to drink!!! That said now I have vitamix, any excuse I can find to use it the better! Plus what with the recent change in 'healthy diet guidelines' to increase our vegetable intake, it also seems to be the sensible thing to do.

At this point I just want to mention I am NOT a nutritionist. I am merely an eager vegetable loving blogger and the information on this post is from a selection of sources that I have read and heard about but is purely my opinion. So don't take things I say as gospel! Best to do some research yourself too.

So, last month it was announced that the previous guidelines by the World Health Organisation that were backed by the Government and NHS of eating 5 portions of fruit and veg should be increased to 7. A 12 year study taken at the College of London found that 5 portions was not adequate and that people who ate several portions of fruit and vegetables had a lowered risk of premature death by 42%.

Researchers also evaluated that canned and frozen fruit actually increased the risk of mortality by 17% and drinking fruit juice had no significant benefit. I personally am quite surprised at this, considering I buy fresh bananas that I then chop up and then freeze. I can not understand how a banana can go from being good for me to buy a 'risk' by freezing it. Obviously the Frozen food manufactures were up in arms about this statement and highlighted how the report itself had stated that frozen fruit is 'held to be equivalent' to fresh fruit. As well condemning the study for putting frozen fruit into the same group as canned fruit, which tends to contain higher sugar levels. If you have any thoughts on why frozen fruit could be classed as bad, please do let me know...

Another interesting point from this study was that they also acknowledged the beneficial differences between vegetables and fruit.  Each piece or portion of fruit consumed lowered the chance of death by 4%, whilst each portion of vegetables lowered the risk of death by 16%. 

What is classed a s a portion!? The NHS created a downloadable PDF with a 'rough' list describing amounts that class as a portion. For a portion you'd be looking at a cereal bowl full of raw spinach or 7 cherry tomatoes or half an avocado. Have a look at the list for the rest.

So with a standard three meals a day you'd need to be having 2 portions at each mealtime and a snack of fruit or carrot sticks. For someone like me who craves beetroot and gets excited about sweet potatoes and butternut squash, it isn't something I'd have an issue fulfilling. 


Spinach & Kale used in my Blueberry Banana Smoothie this morning that I'll blog about soon. This smoothie contains four portions of your fruit and veg for the day!?!

However 2 portions of veg in the morning with a cuppa tea?? Hmm even I thought that could be difficult, and that is where GREEN SMOOTHIES come into their own! By whizzing up this in a morning, not only am managing to consume two portions of veg but also 1 if not 2 portions of fruit to boot! So that four portions of fruit and veg and I haven't even left the flat!!

Here is one of the many smoothies that I'm currently loving!! 

AVOCADO SPINACH BANANA SMOOTHIE 
Serves 2 - Equals 2.5 Portions of fruit and veg per serving!

1 Avocado
2 Large handfuls of spinach
1 large Banana (I chop these up and freeze the night before)
2 tbs Plain Probiotic Yoghurt
1/2 tsp ground Ginger
2 tsp Honey
1 tsp Matcha Green Tea (Have another post coming soon about this impressive powder!)
1 1/2 cups Oatly Milk, but you could also use Normal Milk, Almond Milk, Soya Milk, Coconut Water etc..

Put into your blender and whizz. Alternatively you could use a hand bender and put the ingredients into a jug and carefully whizz.




Lastly as much as jam jars work well you could always get yourself a insulated plastic cup. I got mine online from Starbucks but you can also get them in places like TK Maxx or from ebay. I'll be back with the Blueberry and banana smoothie soon.



Happy Blending!

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to encourage people to maximise their chances of eating their RDI of fruit/ veg a day. Often I don't manage to eat 2 a day, which is very bad I know :/
    I'm now following you on BL. I'd appreciate it if you could follow me too xx
    http://louiseabenamensah.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete