Adventures of a wobbly blogger!


So the new Hoxton is indeed Deptford, considering I actually work in Hoxton I can definitely see the growing similarities. A gem of south London with its cool flea market, numerous art galleries, trendy pubs and great transport links, train, overground line (old east London line) and DLR. It is situated in walking distance to Greenwich and Blackheath.

New Cross and Deptford are right next to each other and between them they have a growing number of independent shops/cafe's and restaurant's popping up. It wasn't till recently that the now, New Cross House, pub was housing the meat-wagon pop up restaurant, which had rave reviews! I was fortunate enough to sample it myself - Trust me when I say "you need to go!". Anyway I managed to locate some of the places on my list which I tell you about now and will return to try out the others another day (There's only so much coffee and
Food you can consume in one day!)

Saturday morning I woke up to sunshine beaming through the window, onto the heaps of washing that I needed to do. I thought to myself, what a perfect day to start looking the local area for the blog! So off I went, out the front door, half way to Deptford, when it actually dawned on me - "I'm on my own". Heck, I've never gone out for breakfast on my own before and have to say that I usually find it hard to chill out. But today was different I was doing it for NEWJ, there was focus to the adventure.....

My first stop was going to be the Deptford Deli, but unfortunately it was still closed. On the plus side I found two little bric-a-brac / vintage / second hand furniture shops and what looked like a really good butchers call "WellBeloved" (what a great name!) Since doing a bit off research, it turns out to be highly recommended!

As the Deptford Deli was shut and I was now rather ravenous, I continued walking (with the help of the handy iphone maps!) to The London Particular. Which as it turns out was pretty much round the corner. Very handy considering it was now 11am and I hadn't eaten! :s (The walk from Hither Green, had taken around 40mins..)


So as I walk up I see a few tables outside, that are already fully occupied by people who are delving into what looked like delicious brekkies. I pop my head in the door and am welcomed by the smell of fresh coffee, sausages and mushrooms. A girl turns round to see my face of confusion, and with giant smile asks if I'm alright ;) 'Are you still serving breakfast?' I ask. 'Yes, till 12 noon. Here's a menu'. There was four people working behind the counter, running around at lightening speed and yet all smiling - I do like people who smile :)
So me thinking I should be 'heathly', orders a bowl of granola, yogurt and fruit with a cuppa tea.
I go and pop myself up on a high stool out of the way, but with a great view of both the street and the cooks at work.

As I sat there I saw breakfast plate after breakfast bowl of beautifully looking dark mushrooms, roast tomatoes, artisan breads and sausages go past..... and started to think I'd made the wrong decision. soon after one of the guys popped over and poured me a glass of water. Then very apologetically re-asked what I had ordered. Ha!! I'd never been so happy!! :D "I had ordered a cuppa tea and the granola. But after seeing, smelling and generally drooling over the breakfasts can I change it to the 'The Particular Brunch Bowl and a Late?!" He gave me such a grin and then proceeded to go into the details of the breakfast and said there were 3 three types of sausage I could choose from (now this is where it gets a bit fuzzy, can't remember exactly what they were, but they were all spicy. one was made by the Greenwich Butcher and another by a butcher in Borough Market.) I went for the Greenwich Sausage.
My brekkie consisted off homemade baked beans, roast tomatoes, roast mushrooms (seriously these were to die for!), 2 sausages, bit of spinach and some artisan bread.





There was also a selection of things on toast like:
Roast tomatoes, smoked ham & greens organic cheddar.
Or garlic roast mushrooms, spinach & goats cheese with streaky bacon.
Or grilled mackerel fillets with a roast cherry Tom salsa.

They were also making up the salads for lunch which pretty darn good too! So not only will i be back to try some more of those mushrooms, perhaps on toast with the goats cheese :) hmmm yum! I'll also have to go back to sample one of the lunches too! No rest for the wicked!?!?!


After writing this post I am now starving!! So will have to continue about the other places I visited another day... I'm off to get myself some food!


To be continued.....
The Deptford Project/ OxJam
Art Hub Studios & Gallery
APT studios & Gallery

Some of the few places yet to visit:
The Big Red
Deptford Deli
Manze's Pie & Mash
Chaconia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I never knew much about Deptford other than it was where Marlowe was killed. Breakfast / brunch is not done very well in the UK so great to hear places are popping up that know what to do!

    ReplyDelete