Jammy Valentine's



To bring some Valentine cheer into the office I decided that cakes should be baked! I ddin't bake one of these though http://www.lilyvanilli.com/content/valentines-hearts/ Scary aren't they, but at the same time rather amusing. Imagine if you received this in the post on valentines day!?

Anyway I had a nose in the fridge and saw a huge jar of my chunky homemade strawberry jam, and that's red and it's valentines day!! So after sifting through my many cookbooks I came across a lovely recipe in The River Cottage Every Day cookbook. So with a heart shape muffin tray to hand I went forth and made a few sweet-hearts! (sorry the puns are getting worse!?). I originally called them Jammy Ripple Muffins, but after being misheard and a few rude jokes (the cheek!?) they were named Jammy Valentine's.

Hmm I like that name...
Anyho here is the recipe:

Jammy Valentine Heart Muffins
225g Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking powder
pinch sea salt
100g caster sugar
1 medium egg
125g Plain yogurt
125ml Milk
75g Unsalted butter - melted
150g strawberry jam - chunkier the better!

Grease and line muffins trays & pop the oven on to 180oc

Pop the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar in a bowl & aerate....? Aerate, sieve the flour and then you could try whisking it... but I'm sure you'd end up with a very white kitchen and not much left in the bowl... ?
Anyway back to the recipe....
In a jug put the yogurt, egg, milk and melted butter (careful not to cook the egg with the butter) mix it all up. And then add to the flour mixture. stir around eight times so as not to over mix (over mixing will make them dense). Spoon the mixture into your muffin trays and place in the oven for about 30minutes.

If you want to live life to the full... eat one of the muffins whilst it's still warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment