Crimbo Mince Pies!



I love mince pies, especially with a slice of crumbly Red Cheshire Cheese! My family have always had a bit of Red Cheshire to hand when the mince pies are out.

You know originally the mince pie did contain meat :-O mincemeat was a way of preserving meat by mixing it with fruit, spices and alcohol. The initial mince pies were large rather than bite size.

I cheat a bit and buy ready made mince meat, but I do intend in making my own...
But I always think the pastry is key! I like it on the thin side, so when you take a bite it melts in your mouth.....

Here is the recipe I use for pastry: (makes 18)

  • 200g plain flour
  • 50g ground almonds
  • 140g butter, chopped up in small pieces
  • Zest of one orange (a zested is so much easier than a grater)
  • 50g golden caster sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  1. Preheat oven to 190oc/fan. Mix flour,ground almonds, butter, zest & caster sugar, until they bind.
  2. Then add the yolk, roll into a ball, wrap in cling and chill in the fridge for at least 30mins.
  3. Roll out the pastry on a sheet of cling (this helps prevent it cracking up). Use pastry cutters to cut out the rounds you need.
  4. Bake in the oven for around 12mins in the oven.Cool in the tins for 5 mintues then cool on a wire rack.
I've eaten four already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment