Healthy Ginger Cake

As it was Ben's birthday at work today, I decided a 'ginger' cake would be fitting - what with him being ginger and all ;D It's a double whammy though, because Ben is ill and ginger is really good for you. Plus eating cake always makes you feel better. It's true.

Anyway he had requested Pete's Ginger cake, but as I'm on health alert this week I decided to do a healthier version. From my fab Veggie Cake Cook Book.

Now I  don't say this lightly, I mean I've eaten a lot of cake in my time and I mean a lot. But I have to say that this cake is by far, the best cake EVER!! I'm not really a huge ginger cake fan either!? It's not sickly sweet and is incredibly moreish. Can't believe I've fallen for a healthy cake!!??!! You'd never of guessed. Have to say very proud that I'm not telling you I fallen for an ice cream cake (mind you haven't ever made or tried one yet...)

Hmmm wish I could have another piece.....


Here is the great recipe for the healthy cake and maybe not so healthy icing....
Enjoy! 

Stem Ginger Syrup cake recipe:
 3 medium eggs
120g demerara sugar
250g peeled & finely grated butternut squash
150g rice flour
100g ground almonds
2 tspn ground ginger
2 tspn stem ginger syrup
100g stem ginger, very finely sliced.


For the icing:
4 tbspn ginger syrup, drained from jar
200g icing sugar, sifted
140g unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp lemon juice


  1. Preheat oven to 180oc. Line the base of a 23cm diameter loose bottom cake tin with baking parchment, then lightly and the sides of the tin with a little vegetable oil.
  2. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and four times their original volume (roughly 5 mintues on full blast). Whisk in the grated butternut squash until all mixed in. Next add the flour, ground almonds, ground ginger, baking powder and salt, and beat again until well incorporated. 
  3. Use a spatula to fold in the ginger syrup and the slices of stem ginger so that they are dotted around the place. pour the mixture into the tin and place in the middle of the oven for 30minutes. 
  4. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for 10mins before un,olding on to a wire rack. peel of the parchment from the bottom and flip the cake the riht way up again to avoid making lines on the top. 
  5. Make the icing by beating together the icing sugar, butter lemon juice and the ginger syrup and spread all over the cake. Decorate with a few finely sliced stem ginger.


Plate folk cake enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment