Admit to being a GEEK?


This is my random post on 'geek-i-ness'.

A part of me has always been a bit of a geek. Or at least craved to be one. Which is strange, because from an early age we're taught that being a geek just doesn't get you anywhere...

My geek credentials are as follows:
  • Lists, lists, lists! Seriously I can't get enough of them. I write lists for the lists I need to write. I have been told it is a family trait.
  • Bags. Oh I am bag lady. Always have been always will be. If you ever see me with just one bag, it'll either be the same size as my body or the second one isn't far away.
  • Third point, is a bit embarrassing... Or is it!? Since being a child I have craved the need to wear glasses. As it turns out, my whole family have worn them at some point, yet I have great eyesight!? So never had a pair, until last year, I thought 'You know, I work in Shoreditch!' So bought myself a pair. How I loved those glasses..... Until I ended up standing on them and broke them and now haven't been able to find another pair :(
  • Forth point. Have been known as the Blue Peter girl for some time. began at uni, something about being excitable and over organised (this can scare people a lot) Anyway it was all strengthen when Jimbo and Jo who I didn't know that well, presented me with a Blue Peter Annual in the student bar. After that there was no going back. Since then people just presume cause u like cooking, organising, wearing glasses and smiling that you are indeed a harmless geek.
You see at one point I thought I wanted people to see me differently than just a 'geek'.
I wanted the m to respect me, be impressed by me and not go "arr bless" what a 'sweet geek'.
So certain things that I'd see that I thought looked fun to do (but perhaps were rather geeky) took a back seat...

Well wobbly jelly lovers you'll be glad to hear that I've that in! I am now embracing my geekiness with both hands! I've learnt to go ahead and do stuff I want to do, even if it means going alone. Since taking this approach, I have actually found quite a few wanting to join me in my adventures! :D


....And to continue with my new embraced geek-i-ness, NEWJ is going to attempt to make it's first FANZINE! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment