Cauliflower, Leek & White Bean Soup



So since starting my frugal regime I have also wanted to incorporate a healthy diet. Healthy diet in the way that my body is being feed all the nutrients it need. This has lead me to a few websites and cookbooks that include:
The recipes in this book are great and really tasty, however some of the ingridients do not fit in my current 'frugal' lifestyle. You try buying umeboshi plums and keep the cost of your soup to 40p per bowl! I don't think so... Whilst I do love these recipes I find it quite easy to tweak or even omit certain ingredients to stay in budget
The next set of recipes I've come across are by Teresa Cutter. "A qualified Chef, Nutritionalist and personal trainer, she has combined her knowledge of food, diet and exercise to specialize in developing healthy recipes for fat loss and total wellbeing. " Her website Healthy Chef is full of fabulous recipes that I have found so far are simple to make, taste delicious, plus she explains why and in which ways the recipe is good for you. 



Cauliflower, Leek & White Bean Soup


"Cauliflower contains phytonutrients that release sulphur compounds when heated. These odours become stronger with increased cooking time, so to minimise  the odour and reduce nutrient losses, it’s important to cook the cauliflower for only a short time.  Cauliflowers are low in calories, carbs and fat and contain B vitamins necessary for energy metabolism plus plenty of fibre to fill you up and to keep you regular......the beans have added quality protein to fill you up as well as aiding repair and supporting my immune system."



Serves 4


1 leek, finely sliced - 81p
Parmesan & Parsley to garnish - 20p
1 cauliflower (800 g ) cut into flowerets - £1
1 x 400 g tin organic cannelinni beans, drained - 69p
1 litre vegetable stock - 50p (2 x Knorr veg stock pot)
£3.30 - which works out to be 80 pence per bowl


Saute leek in 1 tablespoon olive oil over a gentle heat for 5 minutes until softened.
Add the cauliflower, stock and beans.
Simmer until the cauliflower is tender and and remove from the heat.
Puree until smooth, with a hand blender or if you are lucky enough to own one, a vitaMix.
Return to the pot and season with a little white pepper.
Serve warm soup in large bowls with a little shaved or grated Parmesan, chopped parsley and drizzle of extra virgin oil.


Fat: 3.4 g
carbs: 16 g

Protein: 11g
Calories: 151 / 631 kj


This was a good soup, not one of my favourites but good none the less. I was however, surprised to find out it was more expensive to make than the celeriac and fennel soup! 80p per bowl!! Hmm think I need to find cheaper leeks!?! Have just realised Sainsbury's charged me 80 pence for a leek, one leek!? Wow......

No comments:

Post a Comment